Engines and propulsion systems
Make sure that your engines, machinery components and propulsion systems are safe, smart and reliable.
Well-functioning machinery and propulsion are essential for safety in shipping. DNV GL helps you ensure that your engines and components are compliant with all the relevant requirements.
Our machinery experts certify combustion engines, propulsion systems, deck machinery and their components to be used on seagoing ships, inland waterway vessels and further maritime applications.
Our services are based on our recognised DNV GL rules and further international standards such as SOLAS, MARPOL, MED, ISO and more.
- Diesel engines (four-stroke and two-stroke)
- Gas engines
- Dual-fuel engines
- Gas and steam turbines
- Seating of engines, winches and gear boxes
- Shafting, couplings and connections
- Propellers, blades, FP and CPP units
- Steering gear and rudders
- Power transmission and reduction gears
- Thrusters, pods and drivers
- Hydraulic and pneumatic systems
- Anchor winches, chain stoppers and further deck machinery
- Explosion relief valves
Our experts provide:
- Drawing and design approval
- Type approval
- Type tests
- Assessment of strength analysis, fatigue calculations, finite element analysis (FEA)
- Damage and repair assessment
- Technical support
- MED certification for engines of life/rescue boats
- Certification of emergency engines according to KTA
With DNV GL certification, you profit from a wide range of benefits:
- Full-service solutions and comprehensive technical support
- Smart and efficient approval processes that save time and money
- Expert guidance all the way through to compliance
- Recognised DNV GL rules ensuring high standards of safety and quality for your products